Elder Tolen's Transfer History

Elder Tolen's Transfer History
Elder Tolen's Transfer History

Translate

Monday, April 6, 2015

Week 18 [27]: Baptism, Blossoms, and Building Faith

This week was pretty slow at first, I'm not going to lie. BUT! It did  pick up!

So the day before the baptism, we get a call from the traveling AP's and they told us that they prayed about it, and they wanted to go on splits. They called us back later and told us that they didn't even know that we were having a baptism! It's funny how the Spirit works sometimes. It was awesome. So the traveling AP's came, and they slept in our house, and that morning we left for the baptism!!!!!  It was so great. Elder Nishidome baptized our investigator, and it was so funny because when he baptized him, he forgot to tell him to bend his knees, so there was a huge splash, and some of the kids on the front row got a little wet. It was so funny. Our investigator was so ready. He bore his testimony, and it was so great. I felt the spirit so strong. It was amazing. Baptisms are the best. I'm so glad I was able to play a part in his conversion. And by "play a part," I mean being a warm body that the Spirit could work through.
Investigator, Members, and Missionaries before Baptism

Investigator, Members,and Missionaries before Baptism

In other news, today we got our transfer emails! So, first, a little bit of a back story. So Elder Nishidome has to go back home to get a little operation for his nose, nothing too serious, just like a kind of growth. I think something like that. Anyway, while he is gone, we are becoming a trio, so I'm going to become a trio, and help finish training Elder Uamura with a missionary named Elder Cluff. I've met him before, and he is a ball of fun. I'm so excited.

This time of year, you can see the Cherry blossoms here in Japan for about 2 weeks!! They are so pretty. I took some pictures, so I'll be sure to send some pictures.
Cherry Blossoms in Odawara

Another interesting story: This week, we were handing out flyers for English class, and this American guy walks up and starts asking some weird questions, and wasn't really giving us any information, but I didn't really feel weird about it. We eventually found out he used to be a member, and he actually used to be a missionary! It was way cool. He took us up to his office, and we just started talking and told us his life story. It was way fun. But it turns out he really hates the church. He loved us, and he loves the members, but he hates the church. He had been doing some research, and I think he stumbled upon some anti-Mormon literature, and he began to feel betrayed by the church. After his story, I didn't know what to say. But all of the sudden I was talking, and I just told him, "I don't care if you don't join the church again. My purpose as a missionary is not to force you to come to church. My purpose is to help you come unto Christ. So my challenge for you is whatever you have to do, don't lose your faith in God, and in Jesus Christ. I know that they live and love you." And he got really quiet, and just said, "Thank you so much. I really needed to hear that." That was an amazing experience. His feelings towards the church haven't changed, but I believe that his faith in God increased. The Spirit really is an amazing thing.

I hope you all had a great week, and I hope you have another one. I love you guys!

 Elder Tolen
Elder Nishidome in the Yellow "Service" Vest Before a Service Project

Some Members of the Odawara Branch

No comments:

Post a Comment