Elder Tolen's Transfer History

Elder Tolen's Transfer History
Elder Tolen's Transfer History

Translate

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Week 73 [82]: Be a Hero!

Monday, April 25, 2016

Hello everyone! His week was busy! We had to go to Kichijoji to pick up our new companion! His name is Elder Abe! He is the best! He is from the northern portion of Japan, but he is definitely one of my favorite companions by far! He has so much energy! He's great. It will be a great transfer.

So I would just like to share a super awesome miracle that happened last Preparation Day! So, I don't know if you all remember or not, but we went and hiked up Mt. Takao last week! I don't know if I mentioned this, but on the way down, Elder Laird, a missionary I happened to be talking to, sees a guy who didn't look too Japanese, so he said, "Excuse me, do you speak Portuguese?" Turns out the man was completely Japanese, and spoke no Portuguese, but we were able to have a nice conversation with him, but then we had to continue our descent. Now you are probably all wondering why I am sharing this! I'll tell you! That night, we went home, and started proselyting, and Elder Ishikawa and I felt a very distinct impression to turn down a road. So we did, and as we were walking I saw someone that looked a little familiar. This is a pretty common thing for me, especially when I've lived in an area for about three months, and I walk down the same streets almost every day, so I greeted the man, and tried to talk to him, but he just ignored us and kept walking. As I started to walk away I felt like there was something else that I needed to do. So I turned around, and opened my mouth, and said the first thing that came to my mind, "Wait! Do you speak Portuguese?" I have never seen a man pull a 180degree turn so fast in my life. Before I knew it, he was right there talking to us. And you want to know who it was? The very same guy we met on a side of a mountain earlier that afternoon in a completely different city about an hour away from the mountain. He was very surprised, and all I could say was," You and I both know that this is destiny. There is no other explanation. So, because this is destiny, and God wanted us to meet again, will you come to church and see what a weird American like me is doing all the way over here in Japan?" And even more to my surprise, he said yes! So I hope there is even more to add on to this miracle next week! But it was an overall amazing experience.

I would also like to share a short spiritual thought. I would just like to share two scriptures. They come from Luke 1:37, and then Moroni 7:33. They say,

"For with God nothing shall be impossible"

"And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me."

These are the two verses I decided to use for the district theme this transfer. As I was reading this, I started thinking about what these scriptures meant, and what they could be related to. And, as I thought about it, the only thing that came into my mind was Super Heroes. Now, bear with me, I know it sounds pretty cheesy, and it kind of is, but it gets better, I promise. A super hero is someone who has exceptional power, might, wit, and tenacity. Someone who is willing to throw their life on the line for the gain of others, and do whatever it takes to help those around them find peace. That's why the theme I decided to go with for the transfer was "Be a Hero."  Excel in your talent, put it all on the line, and go out and save your brothers and sisters. I hope that we can all "Be a Hero" in our own stories, and overcome the powers of the adversary, and truly help bring those prepared souls home. The Lord has truly given us control over our own destinies. We decide how it ends. Now, the real question is, who are you? That's what it all comes down to. What kind of hero will you decide to become? What epic adventures does life have in store for you yet? Only God knows, but with Him on our side, boundaries, barriers, and limits are nonexistent. We may not get to decided what happened in our adventure, but we all get to decide how it ends. So get out there, and find your destiny, and then, make your dreams a reality. Be a Hero.

I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week! I hope it is full of love, adventure, peace, and joy! You are all amazing!

Elder Tolen

Elder Tolen and Elder Ishikawe with Elder Abe

New Missionaries at the Mission Home

No comments:

Post a Comment